A friend at Intel used to say, “no matter how narrow you make something, once you get close to it, it looks pretty wide.” My goal in 2012 is to get a sufficiently narrow web application business off the ground by myself. No venture capital, no angels, no recruiting, no house of cards. I’ve done that all before, but today it seems like a) it’s best to be able to move quickly and b) virtual private servers are very inexpensive.
Meanwhile, my narrowness guidelines for 2012:
- Focus on providing a communication channel that is new, simple, predominantly mobile, and “obvious in retrospect.”
- “Faster, better, cheaper” rather than “brave new world.”
- Browser-based (forget about web apps on Android and iOS).
- Focus on feedback mechanisms and monitoring tools.
- Avoid developing new domain knowledge.